The Super Warrior Pose is a recent and unorthodox yoga stance that has garnered considerable attention due to its enjoyable characteristics and Instagram-ready allure.
Initially, it may feel disorienting, but once you break it down into the stages detailed in this Super Warrior Pose guide, you may find yourself smiling as you ease into it!
You’ll require a spirit of exploration as well as stability, steadiness, supple hamstrings, shoulders, and side body to achieve the complete manifestation of this pose.
Prior to attempting the Super Warrior Pose, make sure to warm up with numerous Sun Salutations, Forward Folds, Spinal Twists, Standing Splits, hip and shoulder openers, and at least one other balancing stance, such as Warrior Three Pose or Half Moon Pose.
In search of increased stability in your routine? These 6 Stability Exercises Will Significantly Enhance Your Equilibrium
Table of Contents
Here’s the Secure Method for Practicing the Super Warrior Pose:
1. Initiate in Lizard Pose
Sanskrit: Utthan Pristhasana
- From Down Dog, unite your thumbs and step your right foot forward outside of your right hand
- Activate your rear leg while pressing firmly into the mat
- Direct your focus to the top of your mat, maintaining a neutral neck
2. Glide Your Right Shoulder Below Your Knee
- Slide your right shoulder beneath your right knee, generating compression between the two
- Position your right hand to the exterior of your right foot
- Return your gaze to the front of your mat
3. Transfer Your Weight and Step Up
- Shift your weight to your right leg and step your rear foot halfway up your mat
- Your right leg will start to straighten slightly when you do this, but ensure to maintain some bend in the knee
- Sustain the compression between your right shoulder and leg
4. Establish Stability with Two Contact Points
- Ground yourself into all four corners of your right foot
- Extend your left arm outside your mat, parallel or slightly above your front right toes
- Place each of your fingertips on the ground while lifting your palm
- Engage your core to aid in stabilizing your entire body
5. Shift Your Weight Onto Your Right Leg and Bend Your left
- Transfer most of your weight onto your right foot, using your hands and fingertips to find stability
- Keeping a slight bend in your right leg, elevate your left foot off the ground and bend your knee to draw your heel toward your glutes
- Maintain your left arm extended outside your mat, cupping the ground with your fingertips
6. Elevate Your Right Hand and Seize Your Left Foot
- Ground yourself in your standing leg and reach for your left foot with your right arm
7. Raise Your Left Knee and Extend Your Right Leg
- While maintaining a grip on your left foot, straighten your right leg to widen your hips and allow your left knee to point toward the ceiling
- Evaluate your breath – are you still breathing during this position?
8. Elongate and Unseal
- Elongate your spine as you unseal your chest toward your left hand
- Pause to sense the complete body stretch
9. Revise Your Gaze
- Seek out a fixed point or drishti to gaze at, such as forward, toward your left hand or up toward your left armpit
- Mix it up and experiment with various fixed points to discover what feels most comfortable for you in this pose
10. Inhale and Relish
- Smile and relish the moment, you’ve managed to enter the Super Warrior Pose!
- Stay in this pose for 3-5 slow, soothing breaths and savor this marvelous hamstring stretch, side body, and chest opener
- Upon readiness, ease out of the pose deliberately by releasing your left foot and right hand and returning to lizard pose
- Adopt a gentle Forward Fold to release, then assume Child’s Pose to reset
Reap the Full Advantages of This Super Warrior Pose Guide by Switching Sides
Similar to many other yoga stances, you might find one side more attainable than the other, so remember to try the left side as well!
The Super Warrior Pose offers a remarkable full-body stretch, heart and chest opening, and enhances balance and stability, but above all, it’s a lot of fun to experiment with. So, grab your mat and indulge in some playtime.